Squash portobello casserole
|December 28, 2012||Posted by rawbe under Recipes||
- 5 cups butternut squash, sliced or cubed
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms, sliced or cubed
- 2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes, pureed
- 2 med onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 sweet bell peppers (optional) diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 Tb olive oil
- 1 Tb sea salt
- 1 Tb of each dried herb: basil, oregano, parsley and/or rosemary, use more if using fresh herbs
- 2 cups shredded cheese for topping (anything goes; gouda, mozzarella, white cheddar etc.) or *cheese alternative
- Thinly slice or chop squash (if chopped, you may want to pre-steam the squash before adding to baking dish) and cover the bottom of a greased 9×13 glass or cast iron casserole dish.
- Saute the remaining ingredients (except for cheese) in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat. Pour saute over the squash and then spread the tomato sauce on top.
- Bake in oven, preheated to 350F, for 50 minutes (less if your squash is pre-steamed).
- Remove casserole dish and add cheese for the final 15 minutes of cooking time.
Note: This dish goes well with potatoes, millet or any other whole grain to soak up the sauce.
*Cheese alternative: Grind 1/2 cup of brazil nuts, cashews or sunflower seeds with 1/2tsp of sea salt and 1 tsp of nutritional yeast (optional) and sprinkle on top like parmesan.
Number of servings (yield): 8